Sunday 9 October 2011

September 2011 part 2

9th -12th Home farm Hereford
Once again we are at the caravan. Strong winds all weekend as hurricane Kattia blows through. I'm glad to see that the swallows are still here but they are having trouble flying in the wind. The pied wagtails are hunting on the ground around the vans. Starting at one end of the field they work their way up towards the oncoming winds waiting for the flies that it brings them. The wind catches them as they take flight and swoops them away.
Back home the hedgehog is still visiting I'm hoping she is big enough to survive the winter to come.
17th Travelling to see friends we see a kestrel hovering by the roadside hunting on the verges.

                                  My feet are locked upon rough bark.
                                  It took the whole of Creation
                                  To produce my foot, my each feather.
                                  Now I hold creation in my foot.
                                  Or fly up, and resolve it all slowly-
                                  I kill where I please because its all mine.
                                  There is no sophistry in my body;
                                  My manners are tearing off heads...                  Ted Hughes



Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) Usually seen alone hunting by either hovering in the wind or from a perch. Lives in towns and rough grassland. Feeds on small mammals- voles, shrews, mice small birds, beetles and other insects. Lays 4-5 eggs.